Your mind will be blown by this incredible vegan prawn recipe! It resembles prawns so closely and tastes like seafood thanks to a hidden component. The preparation time for these vegan prawns with coconut crust is under 30 minutes, which is a pleasant surprise.
For the Vegan Shrimp
- 1 pound (450g) vegan shrimp (such as king oyster mushrooms or textured vegetable protein)
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour or rice flour for a gluten-free option
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Cooking oil for frying
For the Vegan Dipping Sauce
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce (adjust to taste)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon agave syrup or maple syrup
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Prepare the Vegan Shrimp: a. If using king oyster mushrooms, trim the stems and slice them into shrimp-like shapes. If using textured vegetable protein, rehydrate it according to the package instructions and shape it into shrimp-like pieces. b. In a shallow bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper. c. In another bowl, combine the shredded coconut and flour.
2. Coat and Fry the Vegan Shrimp: a. Dip each vegan shrimp piece into the coconut milk mixture, allowing any excess to drip off. b. Roll the shrimp in the shredded coconut and flour mixture until well coated. c. Heat cooking oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. d. Fry the coated vegan shrimp pieces until they are golden brown and crispy, about 2-3 minutes per side. e. Remove the fried shrimp from the skillet and place them on a paper towel-lined plate to remove excess oil.
3. Prepare the Vegan Dipping Sauce: a. In a small bowl, whisk together the vegan mayonnaise, sriracha sauce, lime juice, agave syrup, salt, and pepper. Adjust the sriracha to your preferred level of spiciness.
4. Serve: a. Arrange the Coconut Vegan Shrimp on a serving platter and serve with the Vegan Dipping Sauce on the side.
- Calories: 300-350 kcal
- Protein: 7-9g
- Carbohydrates: 30-35g
- Dietary Fiber: 4-5g
- Sugars: 3-4g
- Fat: 18-20g
- Saturated Fat: 12-14g
- Sodium: 300-350mg