These vegan peanut butter frosting-topped chocolate peanut butter cupcakes are delicious! think of no better way to entice your significant other than with a peanut butter and chocolate treat. They are both vegan and dairy-free.
For the Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (or your preferred plant-based milk)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
For the Peanut Butter Frosting
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (smooth or creamy)
- 1/4 cup vegan margarine or coconut oil, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk (or other plant-based milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Chocolate Cupcakes: a. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and line a muffin tin with cupcake liners. b. In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. c. In a separate bowl, whisk together the applesauce, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, almond milk, and apple cider vinegar. d. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until well combined. e. Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake liners, filling each about two-thirds full. f. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. g. Remove from the oven and let the cupcakes cool in the pan for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
2. Peanut Butter Frosting: a. In a mixing bowl, beat together the softened peanut butter and vegan margarine (or coconut oil) until well combined and creamy. b. Gradually add the powdered sugar, almond milk, and vanilla extract, continuing to beat until the frosting is smooth and fluffy. Adjust the milk and sugar to achieve your desired consistency and sweetness.
3. Assemble: a. Once the cupcakes are completely cool, frost them with the peanut butter frosting. b. Optionally, you can garnish with chocolate chips, chopped peanuts, or a drizzle of melted chocolate.
- Calories: 300-350 kcal
- Protein: 5-6g
- Carbohydrates: 45-50g
- Dietary Fiber: 3-4g
- Sugars: 35-40g
- Fat: 13-15g
- Saturated Fat: 2-3g
- Sodium: 200-250mg