Summer is quickly approaching, and so is grilling season. This pasta salad, on the other hand, is a Mediterranean antipasti pasta salad with a delightful basil sauce that hides olives, filled tomatoes, and pickled mushrooms among other things. For anyone looking to try a new recipe, this one is well worth it and is sure to impress even your non-vegan friends!
For the salad
- 8 oz (225g) pasta of your choice (penne, fusilli, or bowtie work well)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 cup marinated olives (green and black), pitted and halved
- 1/2 cup roasted red bell peppers, chopped
- 1/2 cup cucumber, diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1/4 cup vegan feta cheese or vegan mozzarella, crumbled (optional)
For the dressing
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions until al dente. Drain and rinse the cooked pasta under cold water to stop the cooking process. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the halved cherry tomatoes, chopped artichoke hearts, halved olives, chopped roasted red bell peppers, diced cucumber, thinly sliced red onion, and torn basil leaves.
- Add the cooked and cooled pasta to the bowl with the other ingredients.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the extra-virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, minced garlic, Dijon mustard, dried oregano, salt, and pepper to make the dressing.
- Pour the dressing over the pasta salad and toss everything together until well combined.
- If desired, sprinkle the vegan feta cheese or vegan mozzarella on top of the salad.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or transfer the salad to an airtight container and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- Before serving, give the pasta salad a quick toss to redistribute the dressing and flavors. Adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Calories: Approximately 380 kcal
- Protein: 8g
- Fat: 19g
- Carbohydrates: 44g
- Fiber: 6g
- Sugars: 3g
- Sodium: 530mg