Chicken replacements that work well are jackfruit or vegan chicken strips. The latter is what we prefer because it tastes the closest to chicken. But jackfruit also works well if you don’t want to use a “substitute product.” This, however, has a milder flavour and less of the “typical” chicken flavour.
- 2 cans of young green jackfruit in water or brine
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit. Cut off the core and remove any seeds.
- Use your hands or a fork to shred the jackfruit into small, chicken-like pieces.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the vegan mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Add the shredded jackfruit, diced red onion, diced celery, chopped parsley, and sliced almonds (if using) to the bowl. Mix until everything is evenly coated with the dressing.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Serve the vegan chicken salad on bread, in lettuce wraps, or however you prefer.
- Calories: 200-250
- Total Fat: 10-15g
- Saturated Fat: 1-2g
- Sodium: 200-300mg
- Carbohydrates: 20-25g
- Fiber: 5-8g
- Sugars: 5-8g
- Protein: 5-8g