Toasted avocado? We haven’t moved on. This breakfast staple’s quick, simple, and savoury qualities are difficult to match, but what if you added some mildly spicy sautéed mushrooms on top? Attempt it, my friends! Although we enjoy this mushroom avocado toast on its own as a snack, it also goes well with greens for breakfast or next to a fried egg. Only ten minutes are needed. Please allow us to demonstrate.
- 2 slices of whole-grain bread (use gluten-free if needed)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (such as cremini or button mushrooms)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional, for heat)
- Fresh parsley or cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Toast the slices of whole-grain bread until they are crispy and golden brown. You can use a toaster or a toaster oven for this.
- While the bread is toasting, cut the ripe avocado in half, remove the pit, and scoop the flesh into a bowl. Mash it with a fork until it reaches your desired consistency. You can add a pinch of salt and pepper to taste.
- In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and minced garlic to the skillet.
- Sauté the mushrooms until they become tender and start to brown, which should take about 5-6 minutes.
- Season the mushrooms with salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes (if using). Stir well.
- Once the bread is toasted to your liking, spread the mashed avocado evenly on each slice.
- Divide the sautéed mushrooms between the two avocado-covered toast slices, spreading them out evenly.
- Optionally, garnish your mushroom avocado toast with fresh parsley or cilantro for added flavor and presentation.
- Calories: Approximately 350-400 calories per serving (2 slices).
- Protein: About 10-12 grams.
- Fat: Approximately 20-25 grams (mainly from healthy fats in avocado and olive oil).
- Carbohydrates: Around 35-40 grams (mainly from the bread and avocado).
- Fiber: Approximately 10-12 grams.
- Vitamins and Minerals: You’ll get a good dose of potassium, vitamin C, and various B vitamins from the avocado and mushrooms.