With this simple Caprese-inspired blackberry grilled cheese, you can give a grilled cheese sandwich a unique twist. For this gourmet take on a traditional melt, we’re using goat cheese, mozzarella, lots of basil, and fresh blackberries.
For the Balsamic Berries
- 1 cup mixed berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or agave nectar
For the Vegan Cheese
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked in water for a few hours or overnight, then drained)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Water as needed for blending
For the Grilled Cheese
- 8 slices whole grain bread
- Balsamic berry mixture
- Vegan cheese mixture
- Vegan butter or oil for grilling
Prepare the Balsamic Berries
- In a small saucepan, combine the mixed berries, balsamic vinegar, and maple syrup.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the berries break down and the mixture thickens slightly (about 5-7 minutes).
- Remove from heat and set aside.
Prepare the Vegan Cheese
- In a food processor or high-speed blender, combine the soaked cashews, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Blend until smooth, adding water as needed to achieve a creamy consistency.
Assemble and Grill
- Preheat a non-stick skillet or griddle over medium heat.
- Take a slice of bread and spread a layer of the vegan cheese mixture on one side.
- Spoon a layer of the balsamic berry mixture on top of the cheese.
- Top with another slice of bread to form a sandwich.
- Spread a thin layer of vegan butter or oil on the outside of the sandwich.
- Place the sandwich on the heated skillet or griddle and cook until golden brown and crispy on both sides (about 3-4 minutes per side).
- Once the sandwiches are cooked, remove them from the skillet and let them cool for a minute before slicing.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
- Calories: 350-400
- Protein: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 45g
- Dietary Fiber: 8g
- Sugars: 14g
- Fat: 15-20g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Sodium: 300-400mg (varies based on ingredients)