Pasta made of vibrant cavolo nero is covered in garlic and oil, burst tomatoes, and your choice of cheese or yeast flakes before being served. vibrant and loaded with healthy vegetables.
- 8 ounces (about 225g) cavolo nero (Tuscan kale), stems removed and leaves chopped
- 8 ounces (about 225g) whole wheat spaghetti or pasta of your choice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (adjust to taste)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth or white wine
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted nuts (such as pine nuts or almonds)
- Vegan Parmesan cheese, for serving (optional)
- Cook the pasta: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to the package instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Blanch the cavolo nero: In a separate pot of boiling water, blanch the chopped cavolo nero for about 2 minutes until tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and red pepper flakes. Sauté for about 1 minute until the garlic is fragrant but not browned.
- Add the blanched cavolo nero to the skillet. Season with salt and black pepper. Sauté for a few minutes until the kale is well coated in the oil and garlic.
- Pour in the vegetable broth or white wine and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- Add the cooked pasta to the skillet and toss everything together to combine. If needed, you can add a splash of pasta cooking water to create a silky sauce.
- Remove the skillet from heat and stir in the lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Serve the pasta in bowls, topped with chopped toasted nuts and optional vegan Parmesan cheese.
- Calories: 400 kcal
- Total Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 250mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 60g
- Dietary Fiber: 10g
- Sugars: 4g
- Protein: 15g