Your cravings for BBQ pulled pork and comfort food will be met in one bite by this warm, juicy vegan jackfruit sandwich. Try this simple, delectable, and nutrient- and fiber-rich vegan sandwich!
For the Pulled Jackfruit
- 2 cans (20 oz) young green jackfruit in water or brine, drained and rinsed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce (choose a vegan-friendly brand)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Sandwich
- 4 whole-grain or vegan hamburger buns
- Coleslaw (optional topping)
- Pickles (optional topping)
- Rinse and drain the canned jackfruit. Cut off any tough core parts and remove any seeds.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté until translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add the minced garlic and sauté for another 30 seconds.
- Add the jackfruit to the skillet and break it apart with a fork or your hands to resemble pulled pork.
- Stir in the barbecue sauce, tomato paste, smoked paprika, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the jackfruit is heated through and well coated with the sauce.
Assembling the Sandwich
- Toast the hamburger buns if desired.
- Place a generous portion of the pulled jackfruit mixture on the bottom half of each bun.
- Top with coleslaw and pickles if desired.
- Place the top bun on each sandwich.
- Calories: 300-350 kcal
- Protein: 5-7 g
- Carbohydrates: 55-60 g
- Dietary Fiber: 6-8 g
- Sugars: 20-25 g
- Fat: 6-8 g
- Saturated Fat: 1-2 g
- Sodium: 700-800 mg