Actually, it’s odd that crepes haven’t yet become a widely favoured take-out food. They may be filled with either sweet or savoury contents and fit into any lunch box because they can be made so quickly.
For the Crepes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk (or plant-based milk for a vegan version)
- 2 large eggs (or substitute with flax eggs for a vegan version)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter (or substitute with vegetable oil for a vegan version)
- Additional butter or oil for greasing the pan
For the Tofu Filling
- 14 ounces (400g) firm tofu, drained and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Orange Jam:
- 2 large oranges
- 1/4 cup sugar (adjust according to taste)
- Prepare the crêpe batter by whisking together flour, sugar, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs (or flax eggs), and melted butter (or oil).
- Gradually pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, whisking until the batter is smooth and well combined.
- Let the batter rest for about 15-20 minutes.
- While the batter rests, prepare the tofu filling. In a bowl, combine crumbled tofu, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Mix well and set aside.
- To make the orange jam, zest one of the oranges and set aside. Peel both oranges and chop them into small pieces, removing any seeds.
- In a saucepan, combine the chopped oranges, sugar, and orange zest. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens and resembles a jam-like consistency. This will take about 20-25 minutes. Remove from heat and let it cool.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Grease the pan with a small amount of butter or oil.
- Pour a ladleful of crêpe batter into the pan and swirl it around to evenly coat the bottom of the pan. Cook for about 1-2 minutes until the edges start to brown, then flip the crêpe and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes on the other side. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Once all the crêpes are cooked, fill each crêpe with a spoonful of tofu filling and fold them into desired shapes.
- Serve the filled crêpes with a dollop of orange jam on top. You can also dust them with powdered sugar for added sweetness.
- Calories: 450
- Total Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Cholesterol: 110mg
- Sodium: 380mg
- Carbohydrates: 62g
- Fiber: 4g
- Sugars: 26g
- Protein: 20g