Without (plant-based) cheese, recipes like pizza, lasagne, and casseroles don’t taste as nice. This recipe is quite straightforward. Only vegan cheese, vegan spaetzle, and onions are required for the Rösti.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup unsweetened plant-based milk (e.g., almond, soy, oat)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups grated vegan cheese (e.g., vegan cheddar, mozzarella)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt, and ground nutmeg. Gradually whisk in the plant-based milk until you have a smooth batter. Stir in the nutritional yeast and set aside.
- Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic, and sauté until the onion becomes translucent and slightly golden.
- Add the grated vegan cheese to the skillet and stir until melted and combined with the onions and garlic. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a separate non-stick skillet, heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Pour in the batter from step 1, spreading it out evenly to form a thin layer.
- Cook the batter for about 5 minutes until the bottom becomes golden brown. Flip the rosti using a spatula and cook for an additional 5 minutes on the other side.
- Once the rosti is cooked, spread the cheese mixture evenly over the top. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle fresh parsley on top for garnish. Cut into wedges or squares and serve warm.
- Calories: 400
- Total Fat: 16g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Sodium: 550mg
- Carbohydrates: 50g
- Fiber: 4g
- Sugars: 3g
- Protein: 15g