Weeknight family meals without meat are made even better with this delectable creamy and cheesy butternut squash spaghetti. For an easy meal that everyone will like, spaghetti is combined with roasted seasonal squash and transformed into a sauce.
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into small cubes
- 1 pound pasta of your choice (we recommend a whole-grain pasta like whole wheat or brown rice pasta)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Spread the butternut squash cubes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Roast for 25-30 minutes, or until tender and lightly browned.
- While the squash is roasting, cook the pasta according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Add the roasted butternut squash to the skillet and stir to combine with the garlic. Sprinkle with nutmeg and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Add the cooked pasta to the skillet and toss to combine with the squash. If the pasta seems dry, add a splash of pasta water to loosen it up.
- Serve hot, garnished with chopped fresh parsley and chopped walnuts.
Nutrition Facts (per serving, based on 4 servings):
- Calories: 476
- Total Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 301mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 78g
- Dietary Fiber: 11g
- Sugars: 6g
- Protein: 15g