How fortunate for all of us that making vegan Schupfnudels is not at all difficult! In order to make thick Schupfnudeln, all you need to do is make “thick” mashed potatoes by adding a little flour and starch. In this recipe, the soy flour and vegan margarine also replace the eggs, ensuring that the dough keeps together and doesn’t get too dry.
- 1 pound (450g) Schupfnudeln (store-bought or homemade)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 10 ounces (280g) mushrooms (e.g., cremini or button), sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
- Fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- If using store-bought Schupfnudeln, cook them according to the package instructions until they are tender. If using homemade Schupfnudeln, boil them in salted water until they float to the surface. Drain and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet or frying pan over medium heat. Add the sliced onions and sauté until they become translucent and slightly caramelized.
- Add minced garlic to the skillet and sauté for another minute until fragrant.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and bell peppers to the skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and any liquid released from the mushrooms has evaporated.
- Sprinkle dried thyme, paprika, salt, and pepper over the vegetables. Stir well to coat the mushrooms and peppers with the spices.
- Add the cooked Schupfnudeln to the skillet and drizzle soy sauce or tamari over the mixture. Stir gently to combine all the ingredients and heat everything through.
- If desired, sprinkle nutritional yeast over the pan and stir to incorporate. The nutritional yeast adds a cheesy flavor, but it can be omitted if preferred.
- Cook the mixture for a few more minutes until the Schupfnudeln are heated through and everything is well combined.
- Remove from heat and garnish with freshly chopped parsley.
Serve the Vegan Schupfnudel-Mushroom Pan hot as a main dish or with a side salad.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
- Calories: 320
- Total Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 58g
- Fiber: 6g
- Sugar: 8g
- Protein: 9g
- Sodium: 600mg
- Calcium: 50mg
- Iron: 2.5mg