This chickpea pot pie with biscuit topping is a comfort food classic! It contains a vegan cheddar biscuit topping and is stuffed with chickpeas and veggies. Quite simple to create, too!
For the filling
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups mixed vegetables (e.g., carrots, peas, corn, and green beans), fresh or frozen
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (or a gluten-free alternative)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any other unsweetened plant-based milk)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the biscuit topping
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (or a gluten-free alternative)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter or margarine, cold and cubed
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any other unsweetened plant-based milk)
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic and sauté until they become translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the mixed vegetables and chickpeas to the skillet. Cook for an additional 5-7 minutes until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetable mixture and stir to coat. Cook for another 1-2 minutes to remove the raw taste of the flour.
- Gradually add the vegetable broth and almond milk, stirring constantly to prevent lumps. Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer.
- Stir in the dried thyme, salt, and pepper. Simmer for 5-7 minutes, or until the filling thickens. If it’s too thick, you can add a bit more almond milk to achieve the desired consistency.
- While the filling is simmering, prepare the biscuit topping. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Cut in the cold vegan butter using a pastry cutter or fork until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in the almond milk until a soft dough forms.
- Transfer the chickpea and vegetable filling to a greased baking dish.
- Drop spoonfuls of biscuit dough over the filling to cover it evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes, or until the biscuits are golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Calories: 350-400 kcal
- Protein: 9-11g
- Carbohydrates: 50-55g
- Dietary Fiber: 9-11g
- Sugars: 5-7g
- Fat: 14-16g
- Saturated Fat: 2-3g
- Sodium: 700-750mg