This vegan BLT sandwich has a tonne of flavour that tastes like meat! The tempeh bacon can be used in so many different ways, making it ideal for fast lunches and dinners.
For the vegan bacon
- 1 package (8 ounces) of tempeh, sliced into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or agave nectar
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Cooking oil for frying
For the sandwich
- 4 slices of whole-grain or your favorite vegan bread
- Vegan mayonnaise
- Lettuce leaves
- Tomato slices
- Optional: avocado slices, pickles, or other preferred toppings
- In a bowl, whisk together the soy sauce or tamari, maple syrup or agave nectar, liquid smoke (if using), smoked paprika, garlic powder, and black pepper to create a marinade.
- Lay the tempeh slices in a shallow dish and pour the marinade over them. Allow the tempeh to marinate for at least 15-20 minutes, turning the slices occasionally to ensure they absorb the flavors.
- Heat a bit of cooking oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the marinated tempeh slices and cook for about 2-3 minutes per side, or until they are crispy and browned. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Toast the slices of vegan bread until they reach your desired level of crispiness.
- To assemble the sandwiches, spread vegan mayonnaise on one side of each slice of bread.
- Layer the lettuce leaves, tomato slices, tempeh bacon, and any additional toppings you prefer on one slice of bread.
- Top with the other slice of bread, mayo side down, to form a sandwich.
- Cut the sandwich in half, if desired, and serve.
- Calories: 350-400 kcal
- Protein: 15-18g
- Carbohydrates: 35-40g
- Dietary Fiber: 6-8g
- Sugars: 5-7g
- Fat: 15-18g
- Saturated Fat: 2-3g
- Sodium: 800-900mg