Chickpea, leek, and mushroom pie is a hearty, reassuring, and wonderfully delicious vegan pie. This vegan winter supper is the epitome of satisfaction when served with mashed potatoes and greens. dairy- and egg-free.
For the Filling
- 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 leeks, washed and thinly sliced
- 8 oz (about 2 cups) mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any plant-based milk)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Pie Crust
- 1 store-bought vegan pie crust or make your own
- 1 tablespoon plant-based milk for brushing (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the sliced leeks and mushrooms and sauté until they are softened and slightly browned, about 5-7 minutes. Add the minced garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Sprinkle the flour over the leek and mushroom mixture and stir well to combine.
- Gradually add the vegetable broth and almond milk, stirring continuously to create a smooth sauce. Let it simmer for a few minutes until it thickens.
- Stir in the drained chickpeas and dried thyme. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Allow the filling to simmer for an additional 5 minutes, or until it thickens further.
- Roll out the vegan pie crust and place it in a pie dish. Trim any excess crust hanging over the edges.
- Pour the chickpea, leek, and mushroom filling into the pie crust.
- If desired, brush the top of the pie crust with plant-based milk to give it a golden finish.
- Bake the pie in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is hot and bubbly.
- Allow the pie to cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
- Calories: 300-350 calories per serving
- Total Fat: 15-20 grams
- Saturated Fat: 4-5 grams
- Sodium: 350-450 mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 35-40 grams
- Dietary Fiber: 5-7 grams
- Sugars: 3-5 grams
- Protein: 7-9 grams