In fact, it’s typical for people to picture large pies filled with luscious apples or cherries when they hear the word “pies”. but not with us! We use savoury fillings to fill our pies. Additionally, rather than using the traditional pie tin, we bake our pies in muffin tins, allowing you to transport the mini-pies and consume them in just two simple steps in the next park.
For the crust
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup vegan butter, chilled and cubed
- ¼ cup cold water
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the filling
- 1 cup artichoke hearts, chopped
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup vegan cream cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt. Add the chilled vegan butter and use a pastry cutter or your hands to cut the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gradually add cold water to the mixture, a little at a time, and mix until the dough comes together. Form the dough into a ball, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic and sauté until translucent.
- Add the chopped artichoke hearts and spinach to the skillet and cook for a few minutes until the spinach wilts. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and let the mixture cool slightly.
- Take the chilled dough out of the refrigerator and roll it out on a lightly floured surface to about 1/8 inch thickness. Use a round cookie cutter or a glass to cut out circles that will fit into your mini-pie molds.
- Press each dough circle into a mini-pie mold, making sure to cover the bottom and sides.
- Fill each mini-pie with a spoonful of the artichoke and spinach mixture. Top each pie with a dollop of vegan cream cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until the crust turns golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let the mini-pies cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Calories: 280
- Total Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Sodium: 380mg
- Carbohydrates: 32g
- Fiber: 4g
- Sugar: 2g
- Protein: 6g