In place of smoked salmon, a vegan kedgeree of spiced basmati rice, lentils, and soft chunks of marinated jackfruit is served. Traditional kedgeree is a rice meal that is gently spicy and accompanied with smoked salmon and cooked eggs. It is a delicious combination of quite easy ingredients that looks and tastes fantastic.
For the Vegan Kedgeree:
- 1 cup dried green or brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 can young green jackfruit in water or brine, drained and shredded
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust to taste for spiciness)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Fresh cilantro or parsley for garnish
- Lemon wedges for serving
- Cook the lentils: In a saucepan, combine the rinsed lentils and enough water to cover them by about 2 inches. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the lentils are tender but not mushy. Drain and set aside.
- Prepare the jackfruit: Shred the jackfruit by pulling it apart with your fingers or a fork. Make sure to remove any tough core pieces.
- In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes until softened.
- Add the minced garlic and grated ginger to the skillet, and cook for another 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Stir in the curry powder, ground cumin, ground coriander, turmeric, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper. Cook for about 1 minute to toast the spices.
- Add the shredded jackfruit to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5-7 minutes until it begins to brown and take on the flavors of the spices.
- Pour in the vegetable broth (or water) and bring to a simmer. Allow the jackfruit to cook in the broth for about 10-15 minutes, or until it’s tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Add the cooked lentils, frozen peas, and lemon juice to the skillet. Stir well and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes until everything is heated through.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro or parsley, and serve with lemon wedges.
- Calories: 350-400
- Total Fat: 10-12g
- Saturated Fat: 1-2g
- Sodium: 500-600mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 50-55g
- Dietary Fiber: 14-16g
- Sugars: 5-7g
- Protein: 15-18g