This eggplant Parmesan sandwich is simply impossible to refuse thanks to the perfectly breaded eggplant, loads of sauce and melty cheese! This aubergine sandwich is so filling that it can be eaten by itself!
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (preferably whole wheat)
- 1 cup marinara sauce (check for vegan options)
- 1/2 cup vegan cheese (such as vegan mozzarella or vegan Parmesan)
- 4 whole wheat burger buns
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Slice the eggplant into 1/2-inch thick rounds. Sprinkle some salt on both sides of the eggplant slices and let them sit for about 15 minutes. This helps draw out excess moisture and bitterness. After 15 minutes, pat the eggplant slices dry with a paper towel.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the breadcrumbs with a pinch of salt and pepper. Dip each eggplant slice into the breadcrumbs, pressing lightly to ensure they adhere well.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the breaded eggplant slices and cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Remove the cooked eggplant slices from the skillet and set them aside.
- Spread a thin layer of marinara sauce on the bottom half of each burger bun. Place a cooked eggplant slice on top of the sauce, followed by a sprinkle of vegan cheese. Repeat this layering process with the remaining eggplant slices and cheese.
- Place the assembled sandwiches on a baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for about 10-12 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and the sandwiches are heated through.
- Once done, remove the sandwiches from the oven and let them cool slightly. Serve warm.
- Calories: 350-400 kcal
- Protein: 10-12g
- Fat: 12-15g
- Carbohydrates: 50-60g
- Fiber: 8-10g