A quiche with asparagus and no dairy or eggs? That seems intimidating, yes? The eggs, cream, and cheese are the main ingredients in traditional quiche recipes. But it’s lot simpler than you might think to create a vegan quiche dish! Tofu is essential. In this dish, silken tofu, plant milk, and chia/flax are processed to create a filling that is smooth and sets like eggs.
For the Crust
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold vegan butter (or coconut oil)
- 1/4 cup ice-cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Filling
- 1 bunch asparagus spears, trimmed and blanched
- 1 cup firm tofu, drained and crumbled
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any plant-based milk)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder (for color)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- 1/4 cup vegan cheese shreds (optional)
Make the Crust
- In a food processor, combine the gluten-free all-purpose flour and cold vegan butter (or coconut oil). Pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the ice-cold water and salt. Pulse again until the dough comes together. If it’s too dry, add a bit more water, a tablespoon at a time.
- Shape the dough into a disk, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Prepare the Filling
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Roll out the chilled dough on a lightly floured surface to fit a 9-inch (23 cm) pie dish.
- Press the dough into the pie dish, trimming any excess. You can crimp the edges for a decorative touch.
- In a blender, combine the crumbled tofu, almond milk, nutritional yeast, olive oil, turmeric powder, salt, and black pepper. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the tofu mixture into the pie crust.
- Arrange the blanched asparagus spears on top of the tofu mixture.
- If desired, sprinkle chopped fresh parsley and vegan cheese shreds over the quiche.
Bake and Serve
- Bake the quiche in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until the filling is set and the top is slightly golden.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before slicing.
- Calories: 250-300 kcal (per slice)
- Protein: 6-8 grams (per slice)
- Carbohydrates: 20-25 grams (per slice)
- Dietary Fiber: 2-4 grams (per slice)
- Sugars: 1-2 grams (per slice)
- Fat: 16-18 grams (per slice)
- Saturated Fat: 4-6 grams (per slice)
- Sodium: 250-300 mg (per slice)