Cannellini beans, garlic, onions, parsley, eggplant and other ingredients are combined to create these vegan sausage buns. They can be prepared ahead of time and eaten warm or cold. Ideal for packing in lunch boxes or serving with a salad for a delicious cooked lunch. In addition, freezer-friendly.
For the filling
- 1 medium eggplant, diced
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil for cooking
For the pastry
- 1 package (14 oz) vegan puff pastry, thawed
- 1 tablespoon non-dairy milk (for brushing)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large skillet, heat a drizzle of olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced eggplant and cook until softened and slightly browned. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add a bit more olive oil if needed. Sauté the chopped onion and garlic until translucent.
- In a food processor, combine the cooked eggplant, sautéed onion and garlic, black beans, smoked paprika, ground cumin, dried thyme, salt, and pepper. Pulse until well combined, but not completely smooth. You want a slightly chunky texture.
- Roll out the vegan puff pastry on a lightly floured surface into a rectangle.
- Spread the bean and eggplant mixture evenly over the puff pastry, leaving a border around the edges.
- Carefully roll up the pastry, enclosing the filling. Press the edges to seal.
- Cut the rolled pastry into smaller sausage roll-sized pieces.
- Place the rolls onto the prepared baking sheet, seam side down. Brush the tops with non-dairy milk for a golden finish.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes, or until the pastry is golden and crisp.
- Allow the vegan sausage rolls to cool slightly before serving.
- Calories: 250-300 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 25-30g
- Protein: 6-8g
- Fat: 15-18g
- Fiber: 4-5g
- Sugars: 2-3g