This hearty stew comes together quickly. In this healthy meal for weight reduction, tomato paste offers a savoury flavour without adding a lot of sodium, while mashed chickpeas give the soup substance.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 2 cans (15 oz each) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves, washed and dried
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cumin, coriander, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper. Cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the diced tomatoes, chickpeas, vegetable broth, salt, and black pepper. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the spinach leaves and cook for 2-3 minutes until wilted.
- Serve hot, garnished with chopped cilantro if desired.
- Calories: 250
- Total Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 830mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 35g
- Dietary Fiber: 9g
- Sugars: 6g
- Protein: 11g