Naturally, you may use any filling you like with the vegan tortellini as well as ravioli or other filled pasta. Because it’s essential to follow the directions on the packaging when it comes to cooking time, the preparation time may also differ depending on what you use. We add fresh spinach right before serving, and it wilts quickly. If you don’t like it, try adding chard or kale instead.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14 oz)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (adjust to taste)
- 2 cups vegan tortellini
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- Fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the diced onion and minced garlic, and sauté until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add the sliced carrots and celery to the pot, and continue sautéing for another 3-4 minutes.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and diced tomatoes (with their juice). Stir in the dried basil, dried oregano, salt, and black pepper. Bring the soup to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and let the soup simmer for about 15 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Add the vegan tortellini to the soup and cook according to the package instructions or until the tortellini is tender.
- Stir in the chopped spinach and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes until wilted.
- Remove the soup from heat. Ladle into bowls and garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.
- Calories: 275 Total Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 1125mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 45g
- Dietary Fiber: 7g
- Sugars: 8g Protein: 12g