Homemade vegan sweet potato biscuits that are tender, sweet, and buttery. Perfectly tall, flaky, and tender, and quick and simple to prepare. Best comfort food ever!
- 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes (about 2 medium sweet potatoes)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any other plant-based milk)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (solid, not melted)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (optional, for a touch of sweetness)
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pierce the sweet potatoes with a fork and microwave or bake until tender. Remove the skin and mash the sweet potatoes until smooth.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the mashed sweet potatoes and almond milk.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut in the coconut oil using a pastry cutter or your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the wet sweet potato mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and gently knead it a few times until it comes together.
- Pat the dough to about 1-inch (2.5 cm) thickness and use a biscuit cutter to cut out biscuits. Place them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Gently re-roll any leftover dough and cut out more biscuits.
- If using maple syrup, brush the tops of the biscuits with a thin layer.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 12-15 minutes, or until the biscuits are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow them to cool slightly before serving.
- Calories: 140 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 22g
- Protein: 2g
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 200mg