The most delectable sweet, sticky, and spicy sauce is slathered on the perfectly crispy Sweet and Spicy Chicken. In about 30 minutes, prepare everything in one pan! Watch the little recipe video down below for simple step-by-step instructions as well.
For the “Chicken”:
- 1 block of firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Oil for frying
For the Sauce:
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce (adjust to taste)
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (adjust to taste)
- Sesame seeds
- Chopped green onions
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the pressed tofu into bite-sized pieces.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the cornstarch, all-purpose flour, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and paprika.
- Dip each piece of tofu into the flour mixture, coating it evenly. Shake off any excess flour.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Fry the tofu in batches until golden brown and crispy on all sides. Remove from the skillet and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- In a small saucepan, combine the maple syrup, soy sauce, sriracha sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, minced garlic, minced ginger, and red pepper flakes. Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Pour the sauce over the crispy tofu on the baking sheet, ensuring that each piece is coated evenly. Reserve a little sauce for drizzling later.
- Bake the tofu in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes, or until the sauce caramelizes and becomes sticky.
- Remove from the oven and drizzle with the remaining sauce. Sprinkle sesame seeds and chopped green onions on top for garnish.
- Serve the vegan sweet and spicy “chicken” with steamed rice or your choice of side dish.
- Calories: Approximately 250-300 calories
- Fat: Approximately 10-15g
- Carbohydrates: Approximately 25-30g
- Protein: Approximately 15-20g
- Fiber: Approximately 2-4g