This layer cake with pears is to die for. With fresh spiced pear slices and maple buttercream, it has the moistest crumb. Although there’s no way you’d ever guess, it’s also vegan and gluten-free.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any plant-based milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ripe pears, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup crushed speculoos cookies (for topping)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour a round cake pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.
- Add the vegetable oil, almond milk, and vanilla extract to the dry ingredients. Mix until well combined and smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and smooth the top.
- Arrange the pear slices on top of the batter, slightly pressing them into the batter.
- Sprinkle the crushed speculoos cookies over the pears.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool in the pan for about 10 minutes. Then transfer the cake to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled, slice and serve.
- Calories: 275
- Total Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 250mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 44g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Sugars: 22g
- Protein: 3g