Spanish omelette, also known as vegan tortilla, is a delectable dish that is typically cooked with potatoes and eggs. Chickpea flour and tofu are used in this delicious vegan variation to create a quick, nutritious dish. Take use of it for breakfast, brunch, a springtime picnic, or a packed lunch!
- 2 cups (about 4 medium) potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup chickpea flour (besan)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon turmeric (for color)
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black salt (kala namak), for eggy flavor
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Optional add-ins: diced bell peppers, spinach, vegan cheese, etc.
- In a large bowl, mix chickpea flour, water, turmeric, black salt, black pepper, and regular salt to make the batter. Let it sit for about 10 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add sliced potatoes and diced onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender and slightly browned, about 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat and drain excess oil.
- Add the cooked potatoes and onions to the chickpea flour batter. Mix well to combine.
- In the same skillet, add the remaining olive oil and heat over medium heat.
- Pour the potato-chickpea batter into the skillet, spreading it evenly.
- Cook for about 5-7 minutes until the edges are set.
- Carefully flip the omelette using a large plate or lid. Slide the omelette back into the skillet to cook the other side. Cook for an additional 5-7 minutes.
- Once the omelette is cooked through and slightly crispy on both sides, remove from heat and let it cool slightly before slicing.
- Serve the vegan Spanish omelette warm, with your choice of condiments or sauces.
- Calories: 220 kcal
- Protein: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Dietary Fiber: 4g
- Sugars: 3g
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 6g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 420mg