plenty of vegetables and mushrooms and is entirely plant-based! The deliciously fluffy vegan mashed potatoes melt on your mouth.
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups mushrooms, chopped
- 1 ½ cups sweet onion, diced (~1 medium onion)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 15 oz can lentils, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- ¼ cup gluten-free soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pinch pepper, to taste
- 48 oz (~ 8 small-medium) russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup plant milk (such as oat, almond, rice, etc.)
- 7 tablespoons dairy-free sour cream
- 3 tablespoons dairy-free butter
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- Pepper, to taste
- Make the mashed potatoes first. Boil the peeled and cubed potatoes until soft, about 15-20 minutes. Drain, add the potatoes back to the pot and add the plant milk, dairy-free sour cream, dairy-free butter, garlic salt and pepper to taste. Mash the potatoes with a potato masher or fork until you achieve your desired texture. Add a little bit more milk if you need to make them smooth if you don’t like lumps. Set the potatoes aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the oil, mushrooms, onion, and garlic to the skillet. Saute until the onion turns translucent, about 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Next, add the lentils, mixed vegetables soy sauce, tomato paste, vegetable broth, dried parsley, salt and a pinch of pepper. Stir to combine the mixture and heat the mixture for another 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon the mixture into a pie dish or an 8×8 square baking dish and spread it into an even layer. Carefully dollop and spread 3 cups of the mashed potatoes over top of the vegetable mixture and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Turn the oven to broil and broil for another 5 minutes until the mashed potatoes start to brown on top. Let it cool and set up for about 5-10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition facts per serving (serves 6):
- Calories: 326
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 103mg
- Carbohydrates: 54g
- Fiber: 13g
- Sugar: 6g
- Protein: 15g