This dish has a long history in Roman cuisine and is firmly anchored in local cuisine. This Italian classic’s name, salti in bocca, literally translates to “jump in the mouth,” which is exactly what the dish’s flavours do.
- 4 large portobello mushroom caps
- 4 vegan sage leaves
- 4 vegan slices of prosciutto (such as vegan ham or thinly sliced tofu)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup white wine (optional)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Clean the portobello mushroom caps and remove the stems. Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Lightly brush each mushroom cap with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place a sage leaf on top of each mushroom cap, followed by a slice of vegan prosciutto.
- In a shallow dish, add the all-purpose flour. Gently press each mushroom cap, prosciutto side down, into the flour to coat it lightly.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the mushroom caps, prosciutto side down. Cook for about 2 minutes, or until the prosciutto starts to crisp up. Flip the mushroom caps and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Transfer the mushroom caps back to the baking sheet, prosciutto side up, and place them in the preheated oven. Bake for about 10-12 minutes, or until the mushrooms are tender.
- While the mushrooms are baking, prepare the sauce. In the same skillet used to cook the mushrooms, add the vegetable broth and white wine (if using). Bring to a simmer over medium heat and let it cook for a couple of minutes to reduce slightly.
- Remove the skillet from heat and stir in the lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the mushrooms are done baking, transfer them to serving plates. Drizzle the sauce over the mushrooms.
- Serve the vegan Saltimbocca alla Romana with your choice of side dishes, such as roasted vegetables, pasta, or salad.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
- Calories: 220
- Total Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 350mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 19g
- Dietary Fiber: 3g
- Sugars: 3g
- Protein: 12g