The vegan pastel rainbow cream cheese icing lies atop soft, creamy vanilla cupcakes in these Vegan Rainbow Cupcakes. They are simple to produce and naturally coloured. both dairy- and egg-free.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plant-based milk (such as almond or soy milk)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Food coloring in various colors (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple)
- Vegan frosting of your choice (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and line a cupcake tray with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the plant-based milk, vegetable oil, apple cider vinegar or lemon juice, and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Divide the batter evenly into six small bowls.
- Add a few drops of food coloring to each bowl, using a different color for each bowl. Stir well to incorporate the food coloring into the batter.
- Starting with one color, spoon a small amount of batter into each cupcake liner. Repeat with the remaining colors, layering them on top of each other.
- Once all the batter is used, tap the cupcake tray gently on the counter to remove any air bubbles.
- Bake the cupcakes in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and let them cool in the tray for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled, you can frost the cupcakes with your choice of vegan frosting, if desired.
- Calories: 180-220
- Total Fat: 8-10g
- Saturated Fat: 1-2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 180-220mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 28-32g
- Dietary Fiber: 1-2g
- Sugars: 12-16g
- Protein: 2-3g