Potato soup is arguably the best German comfort food, along with dumplings and gravy. We relish a big pot of vegan potato soup that we top with crispy smoked tofu, especially in the autumn and winter. Of course, vegan tofu wieners can also be added as an option!
- 4 medium-sized potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any non-dairy milk)
- 200 grams smoked tofu, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley (optional, for garnish)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the diced onion and minced garlic to the pot. Sauté for a few minutes until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add the diced potatoes, vegetable broth, and dried thyme to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook until the potatoes are tender, approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender or a regular blender, blend the soup until smooth and creamy. If using a regular blender, blend in batches and be cautious of the hot liquid.
- Return the soup to the pot and add the diced smoked tofu and almond milk. Stir well.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Serve the soup hot, garnished with fresh parsley if desired.
- Calories: 250-300
- Total Fat: 8-10g
- Saturated Fat: 1-2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 800-900mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 35-40g
- Dietary Fiber: 4-6g
- Sugars: 4-6g