A real dessert classic, baked Alaska has a striking appearance. In reality, the preparation is simpler than you might initially believe. Duri We are no longer dealing with a “Baked Alaska” but rather with a delectable ice cream cake, or, to be more precise, with delicious ice cream tarts.
For the crust:
- 1 1/2 cups vegan graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
For the filling:
- 1 pint vegan ice cream (flavor of your choice)
- 4 vegan meringue cookies (store-bought or homemade)
For the meringue:
- Liquid from one can of chickpeas (also known as aquafaba)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a mixing bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, melted coconut oil, and maple syrup. Stir until well combined and the mixture resembles wet sand.
- Press the graham cracker mixture into the bottom and sides of individual tart pans. Place the pans on a baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let the crusts cool completely.
- Once the crusts are cooled, remove the vegan ice cream from the freezer and let it soften slightly at room temperature for easier spreading.
- Spoon the softened ice cream into the cooled tart crusts, filling them almost to the top. Smooth the surface with a spatula and place the tarts back in the freezer to firm up, at least 1 hour.
- While the tarts are firming up, prepare the vegan meringue. In a clean mixing bowl, add the aquafaba, granulated sugar, cream of tartar, and vanilla extract. Using an electric mixer, beat the mixture on high speed until stiff peaks form. This can take about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the tarts from the freezer and carefully place a meringue cookie on top of each tart.
- Using a piping bag or a spoon, cover each tart completely with the meringue, making sure to seal the edges.
- Preheat your oven’s broiler to high. Place the tarts on a baking sheet and carefully transfer them to the broiler. Broil for 1-2 minutes, or until the meringue turns golden brown. Keep a close eye on them to prevent burning.
- Remove the tarts from the broiler and serve immediately. Enjoy your vegan Ice Cream Tarts (Mini Baked Alaska)!
- Serving size: 1 mini tart
- Calories: 250-300 calories
- Fat: 10-15g
- Carbohydrates: 35-40g
- Protein: 2-4g
- Fiber: 2-3g