After several hours of investigation, experimentation, and taste testing, I’ve found the perfect rip-off of Subway’s Italian Herb and Cheese Baguette. This is the dish that every person needs in their life—soft, fluffy, and sprinkled with cheese.
- 1 baguette (about 12-14 inches long)
- 1/2 cup vegan butter or margarine, softened
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- 1/2 cup vegan cheese, shredded (such as vegan mozzarella or cheddar)
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a small bowl, combine the softened vegan butter or margarine, minced garlic, chopped parsley, basil, and chives. Mix well until all the ingredients are evenly incorporated.
- Using a sharp knife, make diagonal cuts along the top of the baguette, about 1 inch apart, without cutting through the bottom. These cuts will allow the herb and cheese mixture to seep into the bread.
- Spread the herb and butter mixture generously over the top and sides of the baguette, making sure to get some into the cuts you made.
- Sprinkle the shredded vegan cheese over the top of the baguette, pressing it lightly to adhere to the butter mixture.
- Place the prepared baguette on a baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for about 12-15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the baguette is golden brown.
- Remove the baguette from the oven and let it cool slightly before serving. You can slice it into individual servings or serve it whole for sharing.
- Calories: 300-350
- Total Fat: 15-20g
- Saturated Fat: 3-5g
- Sodium: 500-600mg
- Carbohydrates: 35-40g
- Fiber: 2-4g
- Sugars: 1-2g
- Protein: 5-7g