Hearts of palm are used in place of fish in this vegan ceviche, along with conventional Mexican ceviche components including tomato, cilantro, jalapenos, lime juice, and avocado. It is a quick and simple meal that can be prepared in no time! Serve it in lettuce cups, with chips, or on little tostadas!
- 1/4 cup red onion, sliced thin
- Juice from 1–2 limes ( start with one, more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 14 ounce can hearts of palms, drained, rinsed
- 1 cup cucumber, sliced
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 a jalapeno, finely diced
- 1/4–1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 avocado (optional)
- Place the onions in a medium bowl after finely slicing them. Add salt and squeeze the juice of one lime over the dish. Mix. As you prepare the remaining ingredients, leave this to marinate.
- Rinse the palm hearts thoroughly after draining them. Cut into half-moons measuring 3/4 inch. Rinse one more and place in a strainer.
- Cucumber and tomato should be diced, while cilantro and jalapenos should be chopped. Place over the entire bowl of onions. Coriander is added after a quick toss.
- Olive oil and hearts of palm should be folded in.
- Adjust the salt and lime to taste. Typically, I increase the salt and lime juice. Place in the refrigerator for up to 8 hours before serving.
- A few minutes before serving, add the avocado.
- Serving size: ¾ cup (with the avocado)
- Calories: 146
- Sugar: 2.4 g
- Sodium: 455.3 mg
- Fat: 11.6 g
- Saturated fat: 1.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 11.5 g
- Fiber: 5.7 g
- Protein: 2.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg