For this recipe, we chose not to swap anything; instead, we just added a mountain of grilled vegetables. We briefly marinated the vegetables in an olive oil, garlic, and sweet paprika powder mixture before grilling them. Of course, you can do this the day ahead if you’d like so the vegetables may infuse even more flavour.
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup finely chopped mixed grilled vegetables (such as bell peppers, zucchini, eggplant, and onions)
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed mixed with 6 tablespoons water (flaxseed egg substitute)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 whole wheat burger buns
- 1/2 cup preserved cherries (without syrup)
- Leafy greens and sliced tomatoes for garnish
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the black beans with a fork or potato masher until mostly smooth.
- Add the cooked quinoa, chopped grilled vegetables, breadcrumbs, flaxseed mixture, parsley, nutritional yeast (if using), smoked paprika, salt, and pepper. Mix well until all the ingredients are combined.
- Shape the mixture into 4 patties, approximately 1/2-inch thick.
- Preheat the grill or a skillet over medium-high heat. Lightly grease the surface.
- Cook the patties for about 4-5 minutes per side, or until golden brown and heated through.
- While the patties are cooking, lightly toast the burger buns on the grill or in a toaster.
- To assemble the burgers, place a grilled vegetable patty on the bottom half of each bun. Top with preserved cherries, leafy greens, sliced tomatoes, and the top half of the bun.
- Serve the vegan grilled vegetable burgers with preserved cherries alongside a side salad or your favorite side dish.
- Calories: 350-400
- Protein: 12-15 grams
- Fat: 5-8 grams
- Carbohydrates: 60-70 grams
- Fiber: 10-15 grams