The Gatsby is a massive sandwich in the shape of a submarine that is meant to be shared. A whole Gatsby can comfortably feed a family of four or two hangover-stricken buddies. Any number of ingredients, from simple polony to calamari, eggs, masala steak, boerewors and hot French fries, can be used as toppings. It will be well fried and frequently covered in salt and vinegar.
- 1 large baguette or French loaf
- 1 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (vegan version if available)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 2 cups thinly sliced tomatoes
- 1 cup thinly sliced cucumber
- 1 cup sliced pickles
- 1 cup cooked vegan protein (e.g., seitan, tofu, or tempeh), sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Cut the baguette or French loaf into individual sandwich-sized pieces and slice them open horizontally.
- In a small bowl, mix together the vegan mayonnaise, tomato sauce, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, olive oil, minced garlic, salt, and pepper. This will be your sauce.
- Spread a generous amount of the sauce on both sides of each sandwich piece.
- Layer the shredded lettuce, sliced tomatoes, cucumber, pickles, and cooked vegan protein on the bottom half of the sandwich.
- Close the sandwich by placing the top half of the baguette or French loaf over the filling.
- Wrap each sandwich tightly in aluminum foil.
- Place the wrapped sandwiches on a baking sheet and bake them in the preheated oven for about 10-15 minutes, or until the bread is slightly crispy and the filling is heated through.
- Remove the sandwiches from the oven, unwrap them, and serve hot.
- Calories: 350-400
- Protein: 10-15g
- Fat: 15-20g
- Carbohydrates: 40-50g
- Fiber: 5-8g