This Vegan Shawarma recipe is all your Middle Eastern dreams packed into a pita! This recipe is super easy to make and can either be presented really simply in a pita on a platter with a variety of pickles, olives and dips.
- 1 large whole wheat pita bread
- 1 cup seitan or soy-based vegan meat, sliced thinly
- 1/4 red onion, sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup shredded lettuce
- 1/4 cup chopped tomato
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Place the sliced vegan meat on a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until heated through.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- In another small bowl, whisk together the vegan mayonnaise and lemon juice.
- Toast the pita bread in the oven for 2-3 minutes.
- Once the vegan meat is done, remove it from the oven and toss it in the olive oil mixture.
- To assemble the vegan döner kebap, spread the vegan mayonnaise mixture on the toasted pita bread, then add the sliced red onion, shredded lettuce, chopped tomato, chopped fresh parsley, and chopped fresh mint.
- Add the sliced vegan meat on top of the vegetables.
- Roll up the pita bread tightly, cut in half, and serve.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
- Calories: 465
- Fat: 22g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 738mg
- Carbohydrates: 46g
- Fiber: 9g
- Sugar: 6g
- Protein: 24g