This flavorful vegan congee (rice porridge) is straightforward but packed with flavour. Both a hob and an Instant Pot can be used to prepare this recipe. Garnish with fresh garnishes and chilli garlic oil. food preparation and freezer-friendly. (Gluten-free & Vegan)
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari for a gluten-free option
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional toppings: crispy tofu, sesame seeds, nori seaweed, and additional green onions
- Rinse the jasmine rice under cold water until the water runs clear.
- In the Instant Pot, add the rinsed rice, vegetable broth, shiitake mushrooms, carrots, garlic, and grated ginger. Secure the lid and set the Instant Pot to manual pressure cooking for 20 minutes. Make sure the valve is set to sealing.
- Once the cooking is done, allow the pressure to release naturally for about 10 minutes, and then carefully release any remaining pressure. Be cautious, as hot steam will escape.
- Open the Instant Pot and give the congee a good stir. Add the soy sauce, sesame oil, salt, and pepper to taste. You can adjust the seasoning as needed.
- At this point, you can stir in the chopped spinach and let it wilt from the residual heat.
- Serve the vegan congee hot, garnished with green onions, and any optional toppings you desire.
- Calories: 220
- Total Fat: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Sodium: 700mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 40g
- Dietary Fiber: 3g
- Sugars: 3g
- Protein: 6g