The muffins of today wanted to be something unique, so they pretended to be tiny cappuccino cups. a salted caramel cream-filled and coffee cream-topped chocolate coffee muffin.
For the Salted Caramel Core
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
For the Muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any plant-based milk)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
For the Streusel Topping
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter or coconut oil, chilled
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- Prepare the salted caramel core: In a small saucepan, combine the coconut cream, brown sugar, and sea salt. Heat over medium-low heat, stirring continuously, until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture thickens slightly. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, granulated sugar, instant coffee powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt for the muffin batter.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the almond milk, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, and apple cider vinegar.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Do not overmix; a few lumps are okay.
- Prepare the streusel topping: In a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, vegan butter or coconut oil, and a pinch of salt. Use your fingers or a fork to mix until crumbly.
- Fill each muffin liner halfway with the batter. Add a teaspoon of the salted caramel core in the center of each muffin. Cover the caramel with more batter until the muffin liners are about 3/4 full. Sprinkle the streusel topping over each muffin.
- Bake for about 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the muffins comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let the muffins cool in the tin for a few minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts (per muffin):
- Calories: 250
- Total Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 41g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 21g
- Protein: 3g
- Sodium: 220mg
- Calcium: 60mg
- Iron: 1.5mg