With plump medjool dates, golden sultanas, dried cranberries and pears and a goodly swig of brandy, favourite vegan Christmas pudding recipe makes creating a show-stopping Christmas dessert so easy.
- 1 1/2 cups mixed dried fruit (raisins, currants, chopped dates, etc.)
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (almonds, walnuts, etc.)
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1/4 cup molasses or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup plant-based milk (almond, soy, coconut, etc.)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup self-raising flour (or gluten-free flour)
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs (use gluten-free if needed)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the mixed dried fruit, chopped apricots, grated carrot, chopped nuts, apple sauce, molasses or maple syrup, plant-based milk, orange juice, orange zest, mixed spice, ground ginger, and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Gradually fold in the self-raising flour and bread crumbs until the mixture is well combined and forms a sticky batter.
- Grease a pudding basin or a heatproof bowl. Pour the batter into the basin, pressing it down gently.
- Cover the basin with a double layer of parchment paper or foil, and secure it tightly with kitchen twine.
- Place the basin in a large pot and add enough water to come halfway up the sides of the basin. Cover the pot with a lid.
- Steam the pudding over medium-low heat for about 2.5 to 3 hours, adding more water to the pot as needed to maintain the water level.
- Once steamed, carefully remove the pudding from the pot and let it cool slightly before removing the parchment paper or foil.
- Invert the pudding onto a serving plate. Optionally, you can flambé the pudding with some brandy before serving.
- Serve warm with vegan custard, vegan cream, or any other desired accompaniments.
- Calories: 300-350
- Total Fat: 10-12g
- Saturated Fat: 1-2g
- Carbohydrates: 50-55g
- Fiber: 5-7g
- Sugar: 30-35g (natural sugars from fruits and sweeteners)
- Protein: 5-7g
- Sodium: 100-150mg