This classy Vegan Leek Quiche will help you dazzle your visitors this Thanksgiving while maintaining your ideal weight. It boasts a delicate whole wheat and olive oil crust that melts in your mouth and a creamy, silky tofu, cashew, and leek interior. Contains a gluten-free crust and may be made without nuts.
For the crust:
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup vegan butter, chilled and cubed
- 3-4 tablespoons ice water
For the filling:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced
- 2 cups chanterelle mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup vegan cheese, shredded (such as vegan cheddar or mozzarella)
- 1 cup unsweetened plant-based milk (such as almond or soy milk)
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a food processor, combine the all-purpose flour and salt. Add the chilled vegan butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Slowly add ice water, one tablespoon at a time, and pulse until the dough comes together.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and roll it out into a circle that will fit into a 9-inch quiche or pie dish. Press the dough into the dish and trim any excess. Use a fork to prick the bottom of the crust.
- Place the crust in the preheated oven and bake for about 15 minutes, or until lightly golden. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the sliced leeks and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the chanterelle mushrooms and minced garlic. Cook for an additional 5 minutes, until the mushrooms have released their moisture and are tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the plant-based milk, nutritional yeast, cornstarch, dried thyme, salt, and pepper until well combined.
- Spread the leek and mushroom mixture evenly over the pre-baked crust. Sprinkle the vegan cheese on top. Pour the plant-based milk mixture over the filling.
- Place the quiche back in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the filling is set and the top is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
- Calories: 270
- Fat: 13g
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Protein: 9g
- Fiber: 4g
- Sodium: 350mg