This recipe for vegan buttermilk waffles is fantastic. When you make them, all you’ll need is one bowl and a big appetite. They have a crispy exterior and a tender interior, just as a good waffle should. For a great breakfast, lunch or even dinner, serve them along with our vegan breakfast sausage patties and/or tofu bacon.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any plant-based milk)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (such as canola or melted coconut oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your waffle iron according to its manufacturer’s instructions.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine the unsweetened almond milk and apple cider vinegar. Let it sit for a few minutes to curdle and create a vegan “buttermilk.”
- Add the vegetable oil and vanilla extract to the curdled almond milk mixture. Mix well.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and gently mix until just combined. Do not overmix; a few lumps are okay.
- Lightly grease the waffle iron with oil or cooking spray.
- Pour the waffle batter onto the preheated waffle iron according to the iron’s size and guidelines. Close the waffle iron and cook until the waffles are golden brown and crispy.
- Carefully remove the waffles from the iron and serve them warm.
- Calories: 250 kcal
- Total Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 400mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 27g
- Dietary Fiber: 1g
- Sugars: 3g
- Protein: 4g