The ideal blend of sweetness and tartness, softness and crunch, is found in Strawberry Rhubarb Galette with Buckwheat. A crunchy, flaky crust prepared in part with buckwheat flour is topped with lovely organic fruit. This galette will win hearts whether served warm or cold, with ice cream, whipped cream, or simply plain.
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 cup plant-based milk (such as almond milk or soy milk)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds mixed with 3 tablespoons water (flaxseed egg replacement)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Coconut oil (for cooking)
- 2 cups rhubarb, chopped
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (or sweetener of your choice)
- Optional toppings: vegan yogurt, fresh berries, or chopped nuts
- In a small bowl, combine the ground flaxseeds with water and let it sit for 5 minutes to form a gel-like consistency.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the buckwheat flour, plant-based milk, water, flaxseed mixture, and salt. Whisk until you have a smooth batter. Let it rest for about 10 minutes to allow the flour to absorb the liquid.
- While the batter is resting, prepare the rhubarb. Place the chopped rhubarb in a saucepan with the maple syrup. Cook over medium heat for about 5-7 minutes until the rhubarb is tender but still holds its shape. Set aside.
- Heat a non-stick skillet or griddle over medium heat. Add a small amount of coconut oil to coat the surface.
- Pour about 1/4 cup of the batter onto the skillet and spread it out into a thin, round shape using the back of a spoon. Cook for about 2-3 minutes until the edges start to crisp up and the bottom is golden brown. Flip the galette and cook for another 2-3 minutes on the other side.
- Transfer the cooked galette to a plate and repeat the process with the remaining batter, adding more coconut oil to the skillet as needed.
- Once all the galettes are cooked, fill each one with a portion of the cooked rhubarb. You can fold them in half or roll them up.
- Serve the vegan buckwheat galettes with rhubarb warm, and add optional toppings like vegan yogurt, fresh berries, or chopped nuts if desired.
Nutrition facts (per serving):
- Calories: 210
- Carbohydrates: 43g
- Protein: 6g
- Fat: 3g
- Fiber: 6g