A healthier version of the sweet and creamy traditional dessert is this baked vegan brown rice pudding. It’s also great for breakfast because it has raisins, cinnamon, and maple syrup. It also has versatility. Use white rice or various seasonings to change things up. Brown rice pudding can also be simmered on the hob if you’d prefer not to turn on the oven.
- 1 cup brown rice (uncooked)
- 4 cups almond milk (or any plant-based milk of your choice)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup raisins or dried cranberries (optional)
- Chopped nuts and additional cinnamon for topping
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Rinse the brown rice thoroughly under cold water.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the rinsed brown rice, almond milk, maple syrup or agave nectar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, and optional raisins or dried cranberries.
- Mix well and pour the mixture into a baking dish.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil or a lid.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 2 to 2.5 hours, stirring occasionally. The pudding is ready when the rice is tender and the mixture has thickened.
- Once done, remove from the oven and let it cool slightly.
- Serve warm or chilled, topped with chopped nuts and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Serving Size: 1/6th of the recipe (assuming 6 servings)
- Calories: 220 kcal
- Total Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5g
- Carbohydrates: 40g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sugars: 13g
- Protein: 3g