This beloved staple is given a non-dairy makeover with these vegan apple turnovers! They are quite simple to prepare and delicious and cosy. The apple turnovers have a flaky, cinnamony crust, warm apple chunk filling, and a creamy icing on top. Delicious whether eaten warm or cold.
For the Filling
- 2 cups peeled, cored, and diced apples (about 2 medium apples)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
For the Turnovers
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) puff pastry sheets (thawed, if frozen)
- 2 tablespoons plant-based milk (for brushing)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (for sprinkling)
- Preheat your oven according to the puff pastry package instructions.
- In a bowl, combine the diced apples, sugar, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, and lemon juice. Mix well and set aside to allow the flavors to meld.
- Roll out the puff pastry sheets on a lightly floured surface. Cut each sheet into squares of your desired turnover size.
- Place a spoonful of the apple filling onto one half of each square of puff pastry.
- Fold the other half of the pastry over the filling to create a triangle shape. Use a fork to crimp the edges and seal the turnovers.
- Brush the tops of the turnovers with plant-based milk to help them brown while baking.
- Sprinkle a little sugar over the tops of the turnovers for added sweetness and crunch.
- Place the turnovers on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake the turnovers according to the puff pastry package instructions or until they are golden brown and puffed up. Once done, remove them from the oven and let them cool slightly before serving.
- Calories: 220 kcal
- Total Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 120mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 26g
- Dietary Fiber: 1g
- Sugars: 8g
- Protein: 2g