Even while these tiny cherry-apple hand pies are not technically turnovers, the concept is very similar! A delicious pastry, a fruit compote, some sugar, and presto! a pastry that, like a turnover, is equally delicious for breakfast and dessert.
For the crust:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, chilled and cubed
- 1/4 cup cold water
For the filling:
- 2 apples, peeled and diced
- 1 cup frozen cherries, pitted
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
For the frosting:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp non-dairy milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large bowl, mix together flour and salt. Add chilled vegan butter and mix until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gradually add cold water until the dough comes together. Knead until the dough is smooth.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface and cut into 6-inch circles.
- In a separate bowl, mix together apples, cherries, brown sugar, cinnamon, and cornstarch.
- Place a spoonful of the filling in the center of each circle of dough. Fold the dough over and seal the edges with a fork.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- To make the frosting, whisk together powdered sugar, non-dairy milk, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Drizzle the frosting over the hand pies once they have cooled.
- Calories: 354
- Total fat: 15g
- Saturated fat: 9g
- Trans fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 223mg
- Total carbohydrate: 53g
- Dietary fiber: 3g
- Total sugars: 24g
- Protein: 3g