Similar to what we term an appetiser, the word antipasto literally translates to “before the meal”. Typically, a variety of cold or room temperature meats, cheeses, olives, and various vegetables are served. It becomes a very satisfying dinner or side dish when combined with pasta and a light, acidic dressing. Nothing more difficult than cooking pasta and slicing ingredients is required to create it. Take pleasure in it as a side to a larger meal or as a quick lunch or dinner.
- 8 ounces (225g) whole wheat or gluten-free pasta
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 cup marinated olives, pitted and sliced
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers, sliced
- 1/2 cup cucumber, diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions until al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water to cool it down.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooked pasta, cherry tomatoes, artichoke hearts, olives, roasted red peppers, cucumber, red onion, basil leaves, and capers.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the pasta salad and toss gently to combine, ensuring all the ingredients are evenly coated.
- Adjust the seasoning if needed. You can also add more olive oil or balsamic vinegar according to your taste preference.
- Cover the salad and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Serve chilled and enjoy!
- Calories: 350-400
- Total Fat: 12-15g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5-2g
- Sodium: 500-600mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 50-60g
- Dietary Fiber: 7-9g
- Sugars: 5-7g
- Protein: 8-10g