This recipe with Mexican influences is delicious for supper or as a party snack. Add your preferred toppings to these tortilla cups filled with chilli con carne. We won’t “top” the tortillas; instead, we’ll fold them into tiny taco cups.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 12 small tortillas
- Toppings: shredded cheese, diced avocado, chopped cilantro, sour cream (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the diced onion and minced garlic, and sauté until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add the sweet potato and bell pepper to the skillet, and cook for about 5 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Stir in the black beans, diced tomatoes (with their juice), chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper. Mix well and simmer for about 10-15 minutes, allowing the flavors to blend together and the sweet potato to become tender. Adjust the seasoning according to your taste.
- While the chili is simmering, prepare the taco cups. Lightly grease a muffin tin and press a small tortilla into each cup, creating a cup shape. Bake in the preheated oven for about 8-10 minutes until the tortillas become crisp and lightly golden.
- Remove the taco cups from the oven and spoon the chili con sweet potato mixture into each cup, filling them to the top. If desired, sprinkle some shredded cheese on top of each cup.
- Place the filled taco cups back in the oven for another 5 minutes, or until the cheese melts.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool slightly. Garnish with diced avocado, chopped cilantro, and a dollop of sour cream, if desired.
- Calories: Approximately 180-200
- Total Fat: 4-5g
- Saturated Fat: 1-2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 300-400mg
- Carbohydrates: 30-35g
- Fiber: 6-7g
- Sugars: 4-5g
- Protein: 5-6g