Since we LOVE carbohydrates, it’s a tiny marvel that we love stuffed zucchini so much. They’re a low-carb classic. But in terms of flavour, they always bring to mind our favourite noodles Bolognese—just without the noodles or the carbohydrates. We advise serving the stuffed zucchini with rice if you truly miss carbs. Everyone will be pleased (and satisfied) and it tastes fantastic.
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1 cup vegan minced meat (e.g., soy-based or plant-based protein)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional, for spice)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup vegan cheese (optional, for topping)
- Fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and flesh, leaving about 1/4 inch (0.5 cm) thick shells. Reserve the scooped-out flesh.
- In a pan, heat some oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and sauté until translucent.
- Add the vegan minced meat to the pan and cook according to package instructions, until browned and cooked through.
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, vegetable broth, dried oregano, dried basil, red pepper flakes (if desired), and the reserved zucchini flesh. Mix well and cook for about 5 minutes, allowing the flavors to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the hollowed zucchini halves in a baking dish. Spoon the vegan minced meat mixture evenly into each zucchini half.
- Optional: Sprinkle vegan cheese on top of the stuffed zucchini.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until the zucchini is tender.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and garnish with fresh parsley.
- Calories: 150-200
- Protein: 0-15 grams
- Fat: 5-10 grams
- Carbohydrates: 15-20 grams
- Fiber: 4-6 grams