You may be familiar with chocolate babka, but have you ever tried a savoury variety? The greatest way to liven up your bread-baking routine is to try this vegan spinach, tomato, and basil babka. This herb-infused vegan basil bread dough, which only has ten ingredients, is loaded with layers of spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, and fresh basil.
For the Babka Dough
- 2 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 packet (2 and 1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plant-based milk (e.g., almond milk, soy milk)
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the Spinach Tomato Basil Filling
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup pine nuts (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Babka Glaze
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon plant-based milk
- In a small bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water and then sprinkle the yeast over the water. Let it sit for about 5 minutes until it becomes frothy.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt. Add the activated yeast mixture, plant-based milk, and melted vegan butter to the dry ingredients. Mix until a soft dough forms.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface for about 5-7 minutes until smooth and elastic. Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover it with a damp cloth, and let it rise in a warm place for about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- While the dough is rising, prepare the spinach tomato basil filling. In a skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped spinach and cook until wilted. Stir in the sun-dried tomatoes, fresh basil, and pine nuts (if using). Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and let it cool.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease a loaf pan.
- Once the dough has risen, punch it down and roll it out on a floured surface into a rectangle, about 1/4 inch thick.
- Spread the spinach tomato basil filling evenly over the dough, leaving a small border around the edges.
- Starting from one of the longer sides, tightly roll the dough into a log.
- Carefully transfer the log into the greased loaf pan, seam side down.
- Use a sharp knife to slice the log in half lengthwise, creating two long strips.
- Twist the two strips together, keeping the cut side up to expose the filling.
- Bake the babka in the preheated oven for about 30-35 minutes or until it turns golden brown.
- While the babka is baking, prepare the glaze by whisking together the maple syrup and plant-based milk.
- Once the babka is done baking, remove it from the oven and immediately brush the glaze over the top.
- Let the babka cool in the pan for a few minutes before transferring it to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Calories: 250-300 kcal
- Protein: 6-8g
- Carbohydrates: 35-40g
- Fat: 10-12g
- Fiber: 2-4g
- Sugar: 4-6g
- Sodium: 200-250mg