For your Christmas meal, Spiced Red Wine Poached Pears make a delectable, simple, and healthy winter dessert. Gluten-free and vegan! Spiced Red Wine Poached Pears will be the talk of the dinner for this classy dessert! Nobody needs to know that the preparation just took a few minutes, and the cooking only took a solid 30 minutes.
- 4 medium pears (such as Bosc or Bartlett), peeled
- 1 bottle (750 ml) red wine (such as Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional: whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, for serving
- In a large saucepan, combine the red wine, water, granulated sugar, cinnamon stick, and whole cloves. Stir well to dissolve the sugar.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat and bring the mixture to a gentle simmer.
- Add the peeled pears to the simmering liquid. Make sure the pears are fully submerged in the liquid. If necessary, you can place a small plate or a piece of parchment paper directly on top of the pears to keep them submerged.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the pears poach in the liquid for about 20-25 minutes, or until they are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Once the pears are cooked, remove them from the poaching liquid using a slotted spoon and transfer them to a serving dish. Discard the cinnamon stick and cloves.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and bring the poaching liquid to a boil. Let it boil for about 10-15 minutes, or until the liquid has reduced and thickened to a syrupy consistency.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Pour the spiced red wine syrup over the poached pears, coating them evenly.
- Let the pears cool to room temperature or refrigerate them for a few hours to allow the flavors to develop.
- Serve the spiced red wine poached pears as is or with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Calories: 296
- Total Fat: 0g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 6mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 70g
- Dietary Fiber: 5g
- Sugars: 58g
- Protein: 1g